I Deleted Facebook From My iPhone

facebook_voip_iphone_hero

It’s been two weeks since I deleted the Facebook app from my iPhone. Why did I delete it you ask? Not because I think Facebook is evil. On the contrary, I think it’s a blessing to easily stay connected (to a degree) with friends from far away and be updated instantly of significant life experiences. And just because it’s not on my iPhone any more, doesn’t mean I’m NEVER on Facebook either. I can get to it from my laptop etc.

Ok… so why did I delete it then? I realized how many times I would check my Facebook (per day) when it was easily accessible on my phone. If you’re curious, try and track how many times you do it. Gotta go to the washroom? Don’t forget to grab your phone first. You’re thinking — ew, that’s gross. Yea, but everyone does it, and it seems to make washroom visit durations significantly longer...

Stoplights, drive through lines, at the park (“watching" your kids play), in front of the TV, hanging out with friends, at the movies, etc., etc., … any time we are bored or less than stimulated BOOM, out comes our phones, namely FACEBOOK.

I realized how many times I would check it, even though I just checked it moments prior. It was getting ridiculous. So to combat this habit I simply removed the app from my phone. I can still see what my friends and family have been up to, I just get the daily summary instead (or my wife will give me the highlights).

I also still use the Pages (Facebook) app for my music/ministry related posts, but I no longer feel the desire to Facebook creep my “friends", just because I have a spare moment. This time can be better devoted to focusing on the LIFE that is right in front of me: my family, my work, and reality.

Give it a try — I dare you. See if you can go two whole weeks without the Facebook app on your smartphone. Maybe think of it as a retreat and use the time to listen to God’s voice. Perhaps install the Bible app and read God's timeline instead.

No comments: