I Think I May Have Unintentionally Offended Brooke Fraser!

Yesterday I asked my Twitter followers what they thought of Brooke Fraser’s new song. Based on a concerned Twitter direct message reply, I think I may have offended Brooke Fraser!

My passion is for worship music, but I'm sure you've gathered that already. I was first introduced to Brooke Fraser through Hillsong (back in 2007) when she contributed world renown hits, "Hosanna" and "None But Jesus". Anyone who doesn't know those songs, please take my word for it -- they're awesome.

Like any other instant fan I plugged her name in Google and away I went to learn more about this great singer/songwriter/worshipper. First stop on my Google search results was Twitter--instant follow. Next stop was her web site. Hmm, to my surprise it didn't look anything like what I had known her for--Hillsong. As I started reading her bio, I realized, she was a mega-star in the mainstream music industry not only down under, but all over the world.

The third stop on my Google search results was YouTube. One of the first videos I watched was an interview with Sunday's Ian Sinclair. It was at this point I realized that she was not only a great songwriter, a great singer, but most importantly a living "walk the walk, talk the talk" Christian.

If you get a chance, you can Google the interview yourself and watch it. Basically she talks about her work with World Vision. She talks about a mission trip she took which is what inspired her to write her second release "Albertine". She also alludes to her chastity in an awkward moment with the host of the show. Let me remind you, this was in promotion of a mainstream album!

At that moment I was sold. Look at this solid Christian living her life using her platform to influence others in the best way possible. She isn't just doing it on stage at Church (Hillsong), but on the street corners for the world to hear.

If you still don't know who Brooke Fraser is, let me put it in perspective for you. Take someone else famous you know, for example, Sarah McLachlan. Imagine Sarah McLachlan was the writer of "Amazing Grace" (famous traditional hymn) and it was sung all over the world in every Church. Then you realize that Sarah McLachlan is a superstar in the mainstream music world, living a solid Godly life. Pretty cool eh? (Sorry for the “eh”, I'm Canadian).

This past week Brooke released her latest single from her forthcoming album. The song is titled, "Something in the Water". It's a great, catchy, positive, pop tune that will make you feel good after listening to it.

Enter: our little misunderstanding... Knowing that most Christians (at least here in Canada and perhaps the USA) mostly know Brooke Fraser from her Hillsong contributions, I wanted to post a link to her new song on Twitter and see what others thought about her new material.

However, her somewhat concerned reply to my little Twitter survey had me re-evaluate the delivery of this topic. I may have unintentionally implied that perhaps I might have had an issue with the fact that she is releasing MAINSTREAM music while she is affiliated with Hillsong. While on the contrary, I think it's a great example to others, especially to non-Christians. Furthermore, my debut album, "Just Hang On" was a mainstream/Christian crossover record...

BROOKE FRASER -- if you are reading this, I want you to know that it wasn't an insult, a form of discouragement, or negative comment whatsoever. I think what you are doing is great and I want to encourage you to continue being a shining light in a secular society that is so dark and cumbersome. If I offended you in any way, please forgive me.
And to everyone else -- go buy at least one of Brooke Fraser's songs on iTunes ;)

No comments: