What Does it Take to Record an Album?

I remember an event I played a couple years ago, a “brittle in spirit” women, poured the struggles of her heart out to me. She so desperately wanted a worship resource (the Worship album) to be able to enter into a time of worship on her own, because as she said, that’s when she felt relief from the struggles of this world. She didn’t have any cash, and she didn’t have the money in her bank account, but she wrote me out a cheque for the CD, with instructions for me not to cash it for a couple of weeks (until she could get the $15 in her account). I didn’t cash that cheque at all.

I also remember playing a concert at a church and this older gentleman, who I could tell was well educated, well dressed and spoke with an authoritative business like attitude, came up to my merchandise table after the worship service. I was running a special promotion, a discount when you buy two CD’s, you get $5 off (which I thought was a great deal). He, on the other hand, wanted the second CD for free, and didn’t hesitate to demand it.

What’s the difference between these two people? One person just expects free music because they feel entitled to it, while the other desires it so strongly that they’ll give what little they have left, just to have a moment with the Lord. I respect the latter.

The gentleman in the second story is like many music consumers these days. Most don’t understand what it takes to make an album in the first place, both financially and in time.

WHAT ARE THE COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH RECORDING AN ALBUM?
There are many different ways you can do it, but here’s a very shoe-string “Canadian” budget and common example:
  • Hiring a producer/studio for 12 songs - $12,000 (includes mixing/mastering)
  • Hiring studio musicians for 12 songs - $3500
  • Photography - $300
  • Artwork - $800
  • Manufacturing 1000 units - $2000
  • Promoting 3 radio singles - $1000
Ballpark price tag of a project depending on the number of songs is between $19,000 and $25,000. And that’s for decent quality independent album – nothing spectacular. That’s also almost no promotion.
HOW MUCH TIME DOES IT TAKE TO RECORD AN ALBUM?
In short, months. Assuming you have your twelve songs completely written and fully arranged ahead of time...Typically the “bed tracks” (bass and drums) for all 12 songs can be recorded in 2-3 full long days. But, from there the producer/engineer needs to edit the tracks, pick the best takes, splice them together, etc. Once there is a good set of bed tracks, you usually record the rhythm instruments (acoustic guitar / piano), estimate 1-2 hours for each song . Then comes the lead vocals, estimate another 1-2 hours (depending on the singer) for each lead vocal. After that, comes the backup vocals which can take anywhere from 1-3 hours per song. And finally all of the strings, electric guitar parts (typically a radio songs has 3-10 layers of them at once), loops, layers, etc. The producer needs to edit each track and select the best take, splice the selected parts together and make a selection of the best ones. From there starts the mixing and the mastering. It’s a long process. Not the type of thing where you walk in one day, and come out with a full album ready to go.
And after all that time and all that expense the artist finally gets to recoup the debt from recording the album with merchandise sales at concerts and (if the artist is lucky/talented enough) through retail sales at stores. What typically happens you ask? The artist usually has 999 of the 1000 CDs (because Mom bought one) sitting in a closet and then someone comes along and asks for their “free” copy.

There’s lots of great reasons to give music away for free. You folks reading know that from time to time I give away free stuff, and for different reasons. I know artists who share music with fans as a thank-you for support, some that give it away to expand their fan base, some that use it promote album sales, etc. But, there needs to be some way that by doing that, it furthers a ministry objective.

If I were to be completely honest, I would have to say that if I wasn’t an artist, I’d probably demand music for free because I felt entitled to it. I say that because if I wasn’t an artist, I wouldn’t have the understanding I have now about all that goes into making the music what it is. I thank God, that I’m not that type of person anymore.

If I may be so bold to ask, which type of person are you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I never realized how much it took to make a single CD.